City on a Hill seeks to be identified with eight key defining statements.
The following statements represent the primary beliefs of orthodox Christianity, as found in the Bible and handed down through the church. Belief in these statements is required for membership at City on a Hill.
- The unity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead, existing eternally as three equally divine Persons, as one true God.
- God’s loving creation of the universe, the creation of humanity in His image, the value of the creation sustained and ruled by God, the final resurrection, and the renewal of the world at the return of Christ.
- The universal sinfulness of humanity since the fall, rendering men and women subject to God’s judgment.
- The conception of Jesus by the Holy Spirit and His birth by the Virgin Mary.
- God’s gracious provision of redemption from the guilt, penalty, and power of sin only through the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, His ascension, heavenly reign, return, judgment, and glory.
- The church as the people of God, the body and the bride of Christ, and the temple of the Holy Spirit.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling, work, and gifts of the Holy Spirit in believers and in the church that sanctifies both.
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The bodily resurrection of all mankind at the return of Christ, the unjust to eternal punishment, and those in Christ to eternal blessedness dwelling with the Lamb in the new heaven and new earth.