Director of Mercy Ministries
City on a Hill
THE STORY SO FAR
City on a Hill exists to know Jesus and make Jesus known.
Since our inception in 2007, we have witnessed a special work of God’s grace. We are now a movement of seven churches, spread across four cities, bound together by a big and audacious vision: to reach 10 cities with the beauty, truth and relevance of Jesus by planting 50 churches.
Driven by the unconditional, sacrificial and merciful love of God in the person and work of Jesus, we want our churches to shine the light of love, justice and hope in our world. That as we seek to be a “City on a Hill”, the marginalised, the homeless, the poor, the lost, the sick and the forgotten members of our communities would receive and know the love of Jesus through the compassion, mercy and care of his people.
As a movement, we have a renewed desire to plant and lead churches with commitment to local mission and mercy. Furthermore, the reality and impact of COVID-19 has and will create unprecedented social needs in our communities, perhaps in a way many of us have not experienced in our lifetime.
The Director of Mercy Ministries will be responsible for the articulation of the 10 cities vision in and through mercy ministry, and will work with our lead pastors, church planters, and mercy ministry teams to see active expression of the love of Jesus, meeting the needs in the communities we serve. Reporting directly to the Senior Pastor, the Director of Mercy Ministries will be commissioned to provide effective leadership and oversight of City on a Hill’s mercy operations nationally, in their support of organic and organised mercy ministry at each of our churches, and to identify and drive opportunities for ministry innovation, growth and partnership.
We are seeking a leader who:
- Can lead with vision and is able to develop a compelling, over-arching vision for the ministry, can effectively communicate this vision in a range of mediums and contexts, and has the confidence to attract and support gifted leaders to pursue this vision together through our churches.
- Is a strong, mature Christian, able to well handle the balance between mercy and mission in the Scriptures, and grasps the love of God through the lens of compassion and the cross.
- Has the experience, wisdom, and technical knowledge of designing and delivering mercy projects and initiatives, at scale, for impact.
- Understands the difference between mere action and life impact and who knows the fruit of long-run impact in complex ministry and outreach contexts.
- Has led in partnerships of trust, mutual respect, and impact, to the benefit of communities and cities.
Historically, Many Rooms Ltd. (a registered Public Benevolent Institution) has operated as City on a Hill’s expression of mercy ministry. With the appointment of the Director of Mercy Ministries, the current and future activities of Many Rooms will be fully integrated within the leadership and governance framework of the City on a Hill Movement.
This is a full-time position, ideally based in Melbourne, but could be positioned at any of the City on a Hill churches.
- Embodying City on a Hill’s vision and mission to know Jesus and make Jesus known through the peak leadership of City on a Hill’s mercy ministries, with a special concern for people in need throughout Australia and beyond.
- Leadership and oversight of mercy ministry staff and volunteers across our churches.
- Ensuring safe, compliant, and healthy delivery of our mercy ministry activities.
- Development, in partnership with lead pastors, of current and new mercy initiatives across the movement and for each City on a Hill church / city.
- Cultivation and champion of a mercy and compassion mindset throughout City on a Hill encouraging entrepreneurialism and creativity in engaging with the needs of those in our cities, building and casting vision across the movement to this end.
- Facilitate and cultivate key external partnerships for the furthering of mercy ministries.
- Development of grants and opportunities for funding the furthering of City on a Hill mercy ministries nationally.
- Define, track and report appropriate health metrics to help gauge the effectiveness and impact of the ministry in the lives of its participants.
- Research and implement best practice.
- Active presence and involvement in the mercy ministry of the church.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED
- Fulfill the character qualifications outlined in 1 Timothy 3: 8-13, and actively demonstrate humble, courageous, sacrificial leadership.
- A deep love for Jesus, his church, and a heart for mission and seeing the lost reached with the gospel of Jesus.
- Personal passion and vision for mercy ministry.
- Highly developed leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and mobilise people towards a shared vision. Significant and proven experience in senior leadership and management is essential, ideally in a fluid and growing environment.
- Excellence in professional skills including time-management, efficiency, work-capacity, project management, written and verbal communication, organisation, and team-leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to handle and lead rapid organisational change and scale for sustainable growth.
- Proven senior experience in benevolent charitable activity would be highly regarded.
- Theological training and experience in vocational ministry would be beneficial.
All City on a Hill staff must hold a current employee Working with Children Check, have a National Police History Check that returns no disclosed outcomes that would exclude them from the role, and uphold the standards outlined in the Anglican Church of Australia Faithfulness in Service code of personal behaviour for church workers.
For more information or to apply for this role send your CV with cover letter addressing the leadership requirements, key skills and attributes above to email@example.com.
For more information please contact us on 03 9640 0990, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLY FOR FOR THIS ROLE