Director of Mercy
City on a Hill Melbourne
THE STORY SO FAR
Our story began in 2007 with a small team and a big vision to make a difference in Melbourne for the good of all people and the glory of God.
Meeting initially as a small group bible study in a city apartment, in October of that same year we launched our first public service in a pub in Melbourne’s Docklands.
Gripped by the good news of Jesus, we prayed that God would establish a community of faith that would experience his beauty, truth, and relevance in a timely and contextual way. Like a “city on a hill” that shines in the midst of darkness, so we wanted the light, love and life of God to emanate brightly in and through our lives for our good, the good of our city and the glory of his name.
Throughout our journey, God has done incredibly more than we could ever think or imagine. We have seen hundreds of men and women find new life in Christ and enter the waters of baptism. We have celebrated with those who have reconnected back to following Jesus. We’ve seen God inspire leaders and volunteers to care for the poor and marginalised, pioneer new ministries, train leaders, equip and send out missionaries near and far, and open many doors for the gospel.
Since our inception, we have witnessed a special work of God’s grace. We are now a movement of eight churches, across five cities, united together by a vision to reach 10 cities with the beauty, truth and relevance of Jesus by planting 50 churches.
City on a Hill is a movement of men, women and children, united by a simple mission:
To know Jesus and make Jesus known
Driven by the unconditional, sacrificial and merciful love of God in the person and work of Jesus, we want our churches to shine the light of love, justice and hope in our world. That as we seek to be a “City on a Hill”, the marginalised, the homeless, the poor, the lost, the sick and the forgotten members of our communities would receive and know the love of Jesus through the compassion, mercy and care of his people.
One of the unique features of City on a Hill Melbourne is our positioning in the heart of our city. The city holds out unique and distinct opportunities to serve the poor and homeless. With Melbourne CBD as the ‘parish’ in which God has positioned our church, we seek to serve and reach out to those around us where we are the local church.
Many Rooms was birthed in 2009, as a mercy ministry outpost of City on a Hill Melbourne.
Since then, our Many Rooms teams have faithfully served the homeless and marginalised of our city through various initiatives including: the CBD Kitchen (Fridays); the North Melbourne Kitchen (Saturdays); Care pack collation and distribution (Eat-on-the-street packs; Hygiene packs; Winter Care packs; Hospital helper packs); and COVID emergency food programs. The Living Room (Community Visitors Scheme) has also paired Many Rooms volunteers with isolated vulnerable elderly for friendship and care.
The vision was always for Many Rooms to have many rooms – many places, programs and initiatives that serve the marginalised of our city with the love of Jesus - many opportunities for our church community to shine the light of Jesus – and many lives transformed by the beauty, truth and relevance of Jesus.
The Director of Mercy will join as a senior member of the leadership team at City on a Hill Melbourne, to provide direction and oversight to our Mercy Ministries, along with contributing to the overall vision and strategy of the church as part of the Melbourne Vision & Strategy team. The Director of Mercy is a full-time position, based in Melbourne and reports to the Senior Pastor of City on a Hill.
In early 2020 we articulated new strategic priorities for each of our local churches. The first of these being to ‘pioneer mission and mercy’. For City on a Hill Melbourne, this means a renewed commitment to serving the marginalised of our city through acts of mercy in Jesus’ name.
We are thankful for the opportunities we have had so far, and the lives impacted through Jesus’ love. But we believe we can do more. And we want to do more. As we seek to deepen our ministry and mission to Melbourne’s homeless, we would like to explore ways we can also inspire and support the leadership of our other City on a Hill churches and ministries.
The Director of Mercy at City on a Hill Melbourne, will oversee the Many Rooms Team, including our Kitchen Coordinator and a team of 100+ volunteers.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide direction and oversight to our Mercy Ministry at City on a Hill Melbourne, embodying City on a Hill’s vision and mission to know Jesus and make Jesus known, with a special concern for people in need throughout Melbourne and beyond.
- Cultivation and champion of a mercy and compassion mindset throughout City on a Hill encouraging entrepreneurialism and creativity in engaging with the needs of those in our city, building and casting vision across the church to this end.
- Leadership, oversight and development of mercy ministry staff and volunteers across our church.
- Facilitate and cultivate key external partnerships for the furthering of mercy ministries.
- Development of grants and opportunities for funding the furthering of City on a Hill Melbourne mercy ministries.
- Ensuring safe, compliant, and healthy delivery of our mercy ministry activities.
- Research and implement best practice.
- Define, track and report appropriate health metrics to help gauge the effectiveness and impact of the ministry in the lives of its participants.
- Active leadership within the Melbourne vision & strategy team, supporting the lead pastor and working with other team members, in developing, driving and delivering vision and strategy for City on a Hill Melbourne.
- Active presence and involvement in the mercy ministry of the church.
WE ARE SEEKING A LEADER WHO:
- Fulfils the character qualifications outlined in 1 Timothy 3:8-13, who actively demonstrates humble, courageous, and sacrificial leadership.
- Exhibits a personal passion and vision for mercy ministry.
- Has a deep love for Jesus, his church, and a burning passion for mission and seeing the lost reached with the gospel of Jesus.
- Has highly developed leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and mobilise people towards a shared vision. Significant and proven experience in senior leadership and management is essential, ideally in a fluid and growing environment.
- Can lead with vision and is able to develop a compelling, overarching vision for the ministry, can effectively communicate this vision in a range of mediums and contexts, and has the confidence to attract and support gifted leaders to pursue this vision together through our church.
- Is a strong, mature Christian, able to well handle the balance between mercy and mission in the Scriptures, and grasps the love of God through the lens of compassion and the cross.
- Has the experience, wisdom, and technical knowledge of designing and delivering mercy projects and initiatives, at scale, for impact.
- Demonstrated ability to handle and lead rapid organisational change and scale for sustainable growth.
- Excellence in professional skills including time-management, efficiency, work-capacity, project management, written and verbal communication, organisation, and team-leadership.
- Understands the difference between mere action and life impact and who knows the fruit of long-run impact in complex ministry and outreach contexts.
- Has led in partnerships of trust, mutual respect, and impact, to the benefit of people and communities.
All City on a Hill staff must hold a current Victorian Working with Children Check, a National Police History Check that returns no disclosed outcomes that would exclude you from the role, and uphold the standards outlined in the Anglican Church of Australia Faithfulness in Service code of personal behaviour for church workers.
To apply for the role please send your current resume along with an application letter addressing the key skills, gifting and character requirements to email@example.com. Please also include contact details of at least two referees most familiar with your relevant skills to this role.
For more information please contact us on 03 9640 0990, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLY FOR FOR THIS ROLE