Director of Discipleship
City on a Hill Melbourne
THE STORY SO FAR
Our story began in 2007 with a small team and a big vision to make a difference in Melbourne for the good of all people and the glory of God.
Meeting initially as a small group bible study in a city apartment, in October of that same year we launched our first public service in a pub in Melbourne’s Docklands.
Gripped by the good news of Jesus, we prayed that God would establish a community of faith that would experience his beauty, truth, and relevance in a timely and contextual way. Like a “city on a hill” that shines in the midst of darkness, so we wanted the light, love and life of God to emanate brightly in and through our lives for our good, the good of our city and the glory of his name.
Throughout our journey, God has done incredibly more than we could ever think or imagine. We have seen hundreds of men and women find new life in Christ and enter the waters of baptism. We have celebrated with those who have reconnected back to following Jesus. We’ve seen God inspire leaders and volunteers to care for the poor and marginalised, pioneer new ministries, train leaders, equip and send out missionaries near and far, and open many doors for the gospel.
Since our inception, we have witnessed a special work of God’s grace. We are now a movement of eight churches, across five cities, united together by a vision to reach 10 cities with the beauty, truth and relevance of Jesus by planting 50 churches.
City on a Hill is a movement of men, women and children, united by a simple mission:
To know Jesus and make Jesus known
The Director of Discipleship is a senior member of the leadership team at City on a Hill Melbourne, who will provide direction and oversight to our Discipleship Ministry, along with contributing to the overall vision and strategy of the church as part of the Melbourne Vision & Strategy team. The Director of Discipleship is a full-time position, based in Melbourne and reports to the Senior Pastor of City on a Hill.
Leading a growing team of currently six staff, they will oversee key areas of discipleship ministry at City on a Hill Melbourne which include: Gospel Communities, City Kids, City Youth, Alpha, Pastoral Care, Women’s Ministry and Men’s Ministry. They will also be involved in pioneering the development of a new discipleship program: “The Greenhouse”; and in strengthening and expanding our ministry and mission to youth and university students.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide direction and oversight to the Discipleship Ministry at City on a Hill Melbourne, embodying City on a Hill’s vision and mission to know Jesus and make Jesus known, with a special focus on driving local mission and helping men, women and children mature in Christ.
- Leadership, oversight and development of ministry staff in the discipleship frame and volunteers across our church
- Research and implement best practice.
- Define, track and report appropriate health metrics to help gauge the effectiveness and impact of the ministry in the lives of our church members.
- Active leadership within the Melbourne vision & strategy team, supporting the Senior Pastor and working with other team members in developing, driving and delivering vision and strategy for City on a Hill Melbourne.
WE ARE SEEKING A LEADER WHO:
- Fulfils the qualifications of an elder as laid out in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9, and actively demonstrates humble, courageous, and sacrificial leadership.
- Is a strong, mature Christian who is theologically trained and experienced in vocational ministry, able to teach and preach.
- Has a deep love for Jesus, his church, and a heart for mission and seeing the lost reached with the gospel of Jesus.
- Exhibits a personal passion and vision for discipleship ministry, seeing believers mature in their walk with Jesus.
- Has highly developed leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and mobilise people towards a shared vision. Significant and proven experience in senior leadership and management is essential, ideally in a fluid and growing environment.
- Can lead with vision and is able to develop a compelling, overarching vision for the ministry, can effectively communicate this vision in a range of mediums and contexts, and has the confidence to attract and support gifted leaders to pursue this vision together through our church.
- Demonstrated ability to handle and lead rapid organisational change and scale for sustainable growth.
- Excellence in professional skills including time-management, efficiency, work-capacity, project management, written and verbal communication, organisation, and team-leadership.
All City on a Hill staff must hold a current Victorian Working with Children Check, a National Police History Check that returns no disclosed outcomes that would exclude you from the role, and uphold the standards outlined in the Anglican Church of Australia Faithfulness in Service code of personal behaviour for church workers.
To apply for the role please send your current resume along with an application letter addressing the key skills, gifting and character requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include contact details of at least two referees most familiar with your relevant skills to this role.
For more information please contact us on 03 9640 0990, or email email@example.com.
APPLY FOR FOR THIS ROLE