"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." – Jesus (Matthew 5:14-16)
The mission of City on a Hill is simple, profound, and bold: to Know Jesus, and Make Jesus Known. City on a Hill seeks to serve this mission through Christ-centred, Bible-based, disciple-developing, mission-minded, culturally-connected, spirit-saturated and mercy-ministering initiatives.
City on a Hill has matured, under God, to be a complex, vibrant ministry organisation. In less than eight years, our community has grown to around 1500 people meeting over three sites - including one in the western suburbs of Melbourne, begun in 2014.
In the 15 months since we began meeting as ‘City on a Hill: West’, we have seen encouraging growth, financial stability, and increasing opportunity. Now, as we look to both widen and deepen our ministries, we are excited to announce our intention to appoint a Service Director.
The Service Director will report directly to the Lead Pastor, Luke Nelson. They will be someone of exceptional character and vision – an all-rounder capable of crafting bold, imaginative and practical strategies to further God’s kingdom.
This is a paid position, starting at two days-a-week (including Sunday service involvement) – and as it develops, we hope to see a dramatic freeing up of time for Pastor Luke to focus his efforts on teaching, discipleship and leadership development.
The specific responsibilities of the Service Director will include:
i. Service management:
- working alongside the Lead Pastor to design and coordinate worshipful services and special events (such as Christmas and Easter) that reflect a gospel welcome, challenge and promise
- providing on-the-ground supervision each Sunday (eg. leading pre-service briefings, troubleshooting within services, coordinating Communion, etc.)
- initiating service reviews and implementing new ideas
- designing long-term plans for each series
- liaising with venue management
ii. Ministry team leadership and management:
- providing vision, support and direction for volunteers and key leaders in service-related ministry teams (eg. Music, Service Leaders, Welcome, Production, Communications, City Kids)
- assisting in the identification, recruitment and training of volunteers
- sourcing equipment and supplies
iii. Liaising with key leaders across City on a Hill:
- implementing movement-wide initiatives, such as series branding, staging and communications
- working with the movement-wide Operations team on matters related to finances, compliance, risk management and resource management
iv. Project management, taking on short-term ministry projects to advance our ministries
v. Visible leadership and engagement at City on a Hill services and events, to foster community and provide pastoral care
Depending on skillset, calling and time resources, the Services Director may also direct a specific ministry parallel to their primary duties
Key Skills and Gifts
To succeed in this role the Service Director must possess:
- character and competency in line with the Biblical qualifications of Christian leaders
- a humble, teachable spirit that is hungry for growth and personal development in the service of God
- a deep understanding and passionate commitment to the values and vision of City on a Hill, both at the local site (West) and across the City on a Hill Movement, evidencing itself in a vivid engagement with God’s work in this mission field
- a conviction that each individual is significant to the work of the body of Christ, and a commitment to help each person discover and develop their spiritual gifts
- excellence in professional skills such as time-management, efficiency, work-capacity, written and verbal communication, organisation, and meeting engagement
- the ability to work in a team, offering selfless support and humble direction
- strong, visionary leadership and strategic foresight
- a desire to see our ministries constantly evolve and improve
- a commitment to support, challenge and refine the ideas and character of the Lead Pastor
The Services Director will be supported strategically, pastorally and operationally by the Lead Pastor, and will also be encouraged to identify relevant courses and training opportunities to extend their skills (at City on a Hill’s expense). All ministry expenses will be covered by City on a Hill, as budgeted annually in consultation with the Lead Pastor.
Alongside their involvement in Sunday services , the Services Director will be a vital contributor to the following meetings:
- West staff / key leader meetings
- movement-wide Leader Training Days
- All-Staff Days
- 1:1 meetings with the Lead Pastor
Applications are now closed.