THE STORY SO FAR
City on a Hill began with a small team and a big vision to make a difference in our world for the glory of God.
Since our inception in October 2007, we have witnessed a special work of God's grace as He has united hundreds of men and women around the mission of 'knowing Jesus and making Jesus known'. In the past twelve months we have baptised scores of people and witnessed many give their life to Jesus for the first time. Today, City on a Hill meets across three sites in two cities with our first interstate church planned for 2016.
While our story is characterised by constant change and growth, we have maintained a red hot commitment to Christ and His call on our lives in this generation. We are committed to raising up gospel hearted leaders, to build healthy churches, which will reach and serve cities with the gospel of Jesus.
City on a Hill is one family comprising many generations. Our hope is that at whatever age or life stage our members, young and old, will be equipped to know Jesus and make Jesus known. The Generations ministry area exists for this purpose, to ensure we are a people living out Psalm 145:4 – ‘One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts.’ The Generations Pastor will be responsible for leading this effort, bearing the weight of responsibility for the ministry of the Word amongst our City Kids, City Youth, Families and Student ministries. This will involve crafting teaching and training content for these demographics, empowering leaders to pass on the faith in suitably engaging and biblically faithful ways, and being hands-on in ensuring each ministry holds true to City on a Hill’s vision and mission.
The Generations Pastor will lead a team comprising other staff and volunteers from City Kids, City Youth, Students and Families ministries.
This role is a full-time engagement, and reports to the Executive Pastor at City on a Hill: Melbourne.
- Embody City on a Hill’s vision and mission to know Jesus and make Jesus known to the generations of City on a Hill.
- Build biblically faithful, spiritually fruitful and age-appropriately engaging children’s and youth ministries that, in and by the work of the Holy Spirit, equip our young people to know Jesus and make Jesus known.
- Be responsible for the theological aspects of all Generations ministries.
- Pioneer ministry to the families of City on a Hill, ensuring integration for our families with our core ministry priorities (Gospel Communities, Sunday Services) and utilizing support from and engagement with other ministry frames (eg. Community, Biblical Living, Women’s Ministry, Training, Communications ministries).
- Lead the Coordinators of our Generations ministries; coaching and guiding them toward, while personally exemplifying, the execution of ministry with biblical depth and cultural relevance.
- Engage in hands-on ministry to our children, youth and parents, when necessary.
- Be an active presence and pastor for the members connected to the Generations ministries.
- Leadership of key projects as determined by, and in partnership with, the Executive Pastor and Lead Pastor of City on a Hill: Melbourne.
- Function as one of the pastors at City on a Hill: Melbourne, joining the pastor team and exercising loving oversight across City on a Hill: Melbourne.
- Be actively engaged in leadership at events and Sunday services.
- Be actively engaged in discipleship and pastoral care of church members.
- Actively bring innovative thinking and creativity to this ministry.
KEY SKILLS, GIFTING & CHARACTER
The following skills and experience are deemed essential for the fulfilment of this role:
- Fulfill the qualifications of an elder as laid out in 1 Timothy 3.
- The ability to teach.
- Completion of a theological degree from an evangelical seminary or equivalent.
- Experience in leading ministry leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to develop teaching and training content that is geared toward a particular demographic (children, youth or students).
- Live a committed, prayerful, holy life of dependence on God in Christ.
- Have a deep love for Jesus, and a strong commitment to seeing lives changed by his gospel.
The following skills and experience are desirable in the candidate to fulfil this position:
- A post-graduate theological degree.
- At least five years experience in a similar role overseeing children, youth, families and/or students ministry.
If you are a leader who is interested in this position, yet don't possess all of the skills and experience above, please reach out to us to discuss your suitability for this or another position with City on a Hill.
The Generations Pastor will be involved in all relevant Melbourne and City on a Hill: Movement staff meetings, and meet regularly for oversight from the Executive Pastor.
The Generations Pastor must be a mature disciple of Jesus who upholds our confession of faith, and is in joyful agreement with our theological convictions (available here) and cultural distinctives (more information available here).
To apply for the role please send your current Resume along with an Application Letter addressing the essential and desirable criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 20th June 2016.