“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” – Jesus (Matthew 5:14-16)
City on a Hill has matured, under God, to be a complex, vibrant ministry organisation. From 2013/14, City on a Hill will have a staff team of over 20 people, formal granting partnerships with three significant ministry and public organisations, and operations over two cities and several locations. As such, and in the footsteps of the differentiating leadership decisions of the first Apostles in Acts 6, it has been recognised that the administration of City on a Hill would benefit from the gifting and skills of an operational team, encompassing policy and procedures, HR, property, finances, grants, Diocesan relations, and general administration.
The position of Executive Director (Operations) (XD-Ops) has been established to oversee and lead this team. The role will work closely with the Lead Director, and Executive Director (Ministry) to coordinate and manage the operational activities of City on a Hill.
Importantly, the XD-Ops is both a shepherd and a team leader. Their leadership role of operations will dovetail into, and be informed by, their Christian gifting and leadership. They will be expected to serve in a significant way in the ministry of City on a Hill be it through teaching, preaching, community group leadership, or other significant ministry contribution.
Ideally, the XD-Ops should exhibit a combination of the theological depth of Peter, the Godly wisdom of Solomon, the strategic and entrepreneurial ministry mind-set of Paul, and the sacrificial work-ethic of Nehemiah. They should be willing to stand behind and support the ministry of the Lead and other Pastors, to be seldom in the spot-light, and often be working behind the scenes to ensure the organisation runs on a smooth, dynamic, adaptive, and vigilant keel.
The XD-Ops, will work closely with, and report to, the Lead Pastor regarding vision and direction. They will also work closely with the Executive Director (Ministry) and the Executive Assistant forming together, with the Lead Pastor, the Executive Team of City on a Hill.
Personally, the XD-Ops will be expected to exhibit:
- Fulfilling the calling of a / Christian leader/ as laid out in 1 Timothy 3, in character, life, relationships, and Godly leadership;
- Identifying and discipling Gospel-minded leaders to work amongst the operational ministry of City on a Hill;
- Living a committed, prayerful life of dependence on God;
- Providing a wise and Biblical witness to all who are placed under your charge;
- Above all, in so much as the Spirit allows, providing a witness to the non-believer and encouragement to the believer, through your life in Christ.
Professionally, the XD-Ops will be responsible for the Operational Ministry of City on a Hill including:
The XD-Ops will have oversight and responsibility for the Operations Team including:
- Policy Coordinator – the development, audit and review of policy and procedures.
- Finance Manager – the administration and development of budgets, purchasing, asset management, tendering, remittances.
- Grants Coordinator – the support for staff applications and reporting on external and internal grants.
- Human Resources Coordinator – the provision of staff contracts, entitlements structures, entry and exit procedures, interview and assessment pathways, plus strategic forecasting of staffing needs.
- Property Coordinator – the management of property contracts for Sunday venues, the office, and vicarage, plus strategic forecasts of property needs.
- Diocesan Liason team – providing advice and representation on and to the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne.
In addition to overseeing the different operational departments of City on a Hill, the XD-Ops will be expected to:
- Provide confidential, timely, considered, and objective advice on strategic, operational, vision, and planning matters to the Lead Pastor;
- Regularly produce predictions on giving, attendance and other measures which affect high-level planning and decision-making;
- Maintain and assist in the development of organisational structures, staffing needs, remuneration settings and mix;
- Cultivate a culture of improvement across all operational leaders and teams within the organisation.
Key Skills & Gifting
The successful XD-Ops will be able to demonstrate most or all of the following features in their life, experience, skills and conduct:
- A committed, authentic, and tested faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour;
- A Godly, mature, and consistent life which adorns their confession of faith;
- A track-record of loyalty to the leadership, identity and vision of an equivalent organisation;
- A track-record of expertise in continuous improvement of organisational systems and processes towards efficiency, simplicity and efficacy;
- Proven experience in the management of strategic operational matters, ideally in an equivalent (or larger) scale organisation;
- Proven experience in the successful management of few-month to year-long projects in a similar scale (or larger) organisation;
- A sacrificial, gracious, efficient and well-regarded inter-personal leadership style, ideally demonstrated in their leadership of domain experts in an equivalent (or larger) organisation;
- Excellence in professional skills such as time-management, efficiency, work-capacity, written and verbal communication, organisation, chairing, and team-membership.
Applications have now closed.