The Story So Far
City on a Hill began with a small team and a big vision to make a difference in our world for the glory of God.
Since our inception in October 2007, we have witnessed a special work of God's grace as He has united hundreds of men and women around the mission of 'knowing Jesus and making Jesus known'. In the past twelve months we have baptised scores of people and witnessed many give their life to Jesus for the first time. Today, City on a Hill meets across three locations in two cities with our first interstate church planned for launch in late 2016.
While our story is characterised by constant change and growth, we have maintained a red hot commitment to Christ and His call on our lives in this generation. We are committed to raising up gospel hearted leaders, to build healthy churches, which will reach and serve cities with the gospel of Jesus.
City on a Hill desires to be one family made up of many communities of life, love and mission. We envisage a community of life—where the fruit of gospel transformation overflows in the lives of our people—a community of love—where all people of any background are welcomed to partake of the blessing of covenant community—a community of mission—where the lost and broken in our world are actively engaged with the good news of Jesus and compelled to trust Him. This Community Pastor will be commissioned by the eldership of City on a Hill: Melbourne to, under God, make this vision a reality. This will involve functioning as a leader of leaders and a pastor of pastors. Specifically, the Community Pastor will teach and preach, craft content, cast vision, recruit, coach and train leaders and ensure the community of City on a Hill is strong, healthy and embodies the fruit of the gospel.
This role is a full-time engagement, and reports to the Executive Pastor at City on a Hill: Melbourne.
- Embody City on a Hill’s vision and mission to know Jesus and make Jesus known to all the people of City on a Hill.
- Build a biblically deep and missionally engaging model of Gospel Community within City on a Hill: Melbourne that attracts and engages at least 70% of our church community.
- Key teaching voice among our eldership toward our Gospel Communities and wider church, serving in support of our Lead Pastor.
- Shepherd existing Gospel Community leaders and actively ensure the development of new leaders and groups.
- Ensure the smooth integration of new people into City on a Hill’s community through overseeing the Connections team, including Newcomer Night and Welcome to Melbourne involvement.
- Leadership and drive of key community events, through a Community Events team.
- Function as one of the pastors at City on a Hill: Melbourne, joining the pastor team and exercising loving pastoral oversight across City on a Hill: Melbourne.
- Leadership of key projects as determined by, and in partnership with, the Executive Pastor and Lead Pastor of City on a Hill: Melbourne.
- Be actively engaged in leadership at events and Sunday services.
- Actively bring innovative thinking and creativity to this ministry.
Key Skills, Gifting & Character
The following skills and experience are deemed essential for the fulfilment of this role:
- Fulfill the qualifications of an elder as laid out in 1 Timothy 3.
- The ability to teach.
- Theological training from an evangelical seminary or equivalent.
- Experience in leading ministry leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to cast vision, recruit, assess and deploy leaders and ‘equip the saints for the work of ministry’ (Eph. 4:12).
- Live a committed, prayerful, holy life of dependence on God in Christ.
- Have a deep love for Jesus, and a strong commitment to seeing lives changed by His gospel.
The following skills and experience are desirable in the candidate to fulfil this position:
- A post-graduate theological degree.
- Anglican Ordination with a Marriage licence.
- At least five years experience in a similar role overseeing the community development within a similar ministry.
The Community Pastor will be involved in all relevant Melbourne and City on a Hill: Movement staff meetings.
The Community Pastor must be a mature disciple of Jesus who upholds our confession of faith, and is in joyful agreement with our theological convictions (available here) and cultural distinctives (more information available here).
If you are a leader who is interested in this position, yet don't possess all of the skills and experience in the desirable criteria above, please reach out to us to discuss your suitability for this or another position with City on a Hill.
How to Apply
To apply for the role of Community Pastor, please send your current resume and accompanying cover letter addressing the essential and desirable criteria, to email@example.com
Applications close 5pm Monday, 5th September 2016.