City on a Hill is a dynamic, culturally-connected, spirit-saturated, Gospel-focussed, church planting church who's mission is to know Jesus and make Jesus known. Though City on a Hill is only six years old, under God, it has experienced phenomenal Gospel-growth, with a community of over 1,000 regularly meeting over four congregations at two sites (Melbourne and Geelong) with a third site to launch (West) in April 2014.
With City on a Hill's recent transition from a single site, to a multi-site network of locations, City on a Hill is seeking to further strengthen its operational team by appointing an Accounts Coordinator.
The Accounts Coordinator, reporting to the Executive Pastor (Operations), will be responsible for all week-to-week accounting and financial activities of City on a Hill. Initially, the role holds responsibility for City on a Hill – Melbourne (currently comprising over 90% of financial activities) in addition to the movement-level (central services) core of the organisation, plus coordination for the Geelong site. In time, it is anticipated that the role will focus solely on Movement-level accounts. The Accounts Coordinator must be committed to the mission and vision of City on a Hill and seek to serve this vision by providing timely, trust-worthy, reporting underpinned by sound accounting practices.
The Accounts Coordinator role is a 2 or 3 day per week engagement, depending on the skills and capabilities of the applicant, sited primarily within the offices of City on a Hill (close to the CBD, Melbourne), though with flexible working options available. The Accounts Coordinator will oversee book-keeping activities as part of their role (most likely via out-sourcing these). The role could be voluntary or paid depending on the circumstances of the applicant, however, reliable week-to-week activities are required.
With successful performance the role could develop, over time, towards the strategic oversight of the entire financial portfolio of City on a Hill.
- Oversight of the invoicing, payment, and reconciliation system;
- Performing bookkeeping duties (allocating income and expenditure to appropriate budget areas), or, oversight of an in-house or external bookkeeper;
- Oversight of the authorisation of expenditure activities of City on a Hill Budget Directors;
- Preparation and delivery of monthly and quarterly financials (P&L, BS, and budget comparisons);
- Preparation and delivery of monthly giving analysis;
- Preparation and delivery of annual accounts for reporting and audit in compliance with accounting standards;
- Maintenance of cash flow forecasts;
- Adherence to all City on a Hill financial policies and identification of areas for continuous improvement;
- Providing support to the Executive Pastor (Operations) during budget preparation and any other financial analysis as required.
Experience, Background & Skills
- A demonstrated love for Jesus, His gospel, and His mission;
- A track record of timely, trust-worthy financial reporting experience for a minimum $1 million turn-over organisation;
- Skills and experience with budget formulation and coordination at a comparable scale to City on a Hill;
- Up to date knowledge of Australian accounting standards and requirements;
- Strong numerical and systems thinking skills;
- Excellence in team-work and inter-personal communication;
- Relevant qualifications to this role (e.g. B.Acc, CPA).
Note, City on a Hill uses Xero accounting software. Experience with Xero is desirable, but not mandatory.
Applications have now closed.